Message Printed By The Heart
The Southern Israeli city of Sderot, situated 1km (0.62 miles) from the Gaza Strip and dubbed, "The Bomb Shelter Capitol of the World," continues to be on the front-lines between Israel and ongoing Palestinian rocket terror attacks.
Terrorism is not the only thing that defines the resilient residents of Sderot but it has played a major part in their lives, seen through these 10 facts:
1. Since the beginning of the Second Intifada, in October 2000, Sderot has been under constant rocket fire from Qassam rockets launched by Hamas and Islamic Jihad.
2. More rocket attacks occurred after Israel's Disengagement from the Gaza Strip, in 2005, when Israel dismantled and evacuated it's entire population from the Strip
3. As of 2013, over 13,000 rockets were fired toward Sderot
4. During Operation Protective Edge, July-August, 2014, Palestinian terror groups fired over 4,500 rockets towards Israel, many landing near and in Sderot
5. Medical studies in Sderot, documented a post-traumatic stress disorder incidence among young children of almost 50%, as well as high rates of depression and miscarriage. This figure has previously risen to 75%
6. The Israeli government has installed a "Red Color" (צבע אדום) alarm system to warn citizens of impending rocket attacks
7. Citizens only have 7–15 seconds to reach shelter after the sounding of the alarm.
8. Eighty rockets were fired in one day, on 7 July, 2014, during Operation Protective Edge
9. According to all human rights bodies and organizations, indiscriminate attacks on civilians and civilian structures that do not discriminate between civilians and military targets are illegal under international law and constitute War Crimes.
10. On 5 March, the Israeli Navy intercepted a ship containing dozens of long-range rockets being smuggled from Iran to the Gaza Strip.